Body of worker killed in Qatar gas blast flown home
MANILA, Philippines—The remains of Charlie Closa de Castro, one of two Filipino workers who were killed in a gas explosion at a Turkish restaurant in Doha, Qatar last week, arrived in Manila on Wednesday.
According to Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, De Castro’s body arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) on Qatar Airways flight QR926 that landed at 3:55 p.m.
OWWA personnel were at the airport to extend assistance to the family, including facilitation of the body’s release from the Naia cargo terminal.
A native of Batangas, the 29- year-old De Castro worked as a merchandiser at the Family Food Center in Qatar.
De Castro was among 12 people killed by the gas explosion last February 27. Two other Filipinos suffered head injuries, the authorities said.
Carmelita Dimzon, OWW administrator, said earlier that the families of the deceased OFWs would receive P200,000 in death benefits, P20,000 in burial assistance, scholarship grants for their children and livelihood assistance for the surviving spouses.
The injured migrant workers were to be compensated depending on the extent of the injury they suffered, she said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.