Palace condoles with blast victims in Beirut; assures aid to Filipinos affected
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Wednesday expressed solidarity with Lebanon following blasts in its capital Beirut that led to the death of at least a hundred people, including two Filipinos.
“The Philippines is in solidarity with the people of Lebanon in this period of great grief. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Lebanese people,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a statement.
“We are one with the families and friends of Filipinos who passed or were injured during the event,” he added.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reported two Filipinos died, eight were injured while 12 were reported missing following the blast in Beirut.
“The Department of Foreign Affairs has been instructed to assist all Filipinos affected by the explosions through the Philippine Embassy in Beirut,” Roque said.
At least a hundred people died and around 4,000 were reported injured following the explosion that shook Beirut, the Lebanese Red Cross said.
Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab said the explosion stemmed from 2,750 tonnes of agricultural fertilizer ammonium nitrate that had been stored in a portside warehouse for years.
Subscribe to our global nation newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.