12 Filipinos missing after explosion in Beirut — DFA
MANILA, Philippines — Twelve Filipinos were reported missing following the explosions that hit the Port of Beirut in Lebanon, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reported Wednesday.
In an online briefing, DFA Undersecretary Sarah Arriola said 11 of them were seafarers while the other one was a household service worker.
Earlier, two Filipinos were reported dead and six were hurt. Two more Filipinos were reported injured, bringing the number of wounded Filipinos to eight.
“The additional 2 injured currently recuperating at the Embassy chancery after receiving treatment from the hospital are part of the group of 13 filipino seafarers whose ship was docked 400 meters away from the blast zone,” Arriola said.
“Eleven of the said seafarers have been reported missing. In addition, one Filipino household service worker has also been reported as missing, bringing the total number of missing Filipinos to 12,” she added.
Arriola said the DFA is trying to find the missing Filipinos by contacting hospitals in Beirut. She added that they are also relying on reports from the Filipino community there.
At least 78 people died and around 4,000 were reported injured following the explosion that shook the Lebanese capital.
The explosion stemmed from 2,750 tonnes of agricultural fertilizer ammonium nitrate that had been stored in a portside warehouse for years, Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab said.
Subscribe to our global nation newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.