Close  

Many OFWs in Libya backing out from repatriation—DFA

By: - NewsLab Lead / @MSantosINQ
/ 03:51 PM August 13, 2014

Filipino children watch as activists hold a rally in front of the Department of Foreign Affairs in suburban Pasay, Philippines as they call on the government to ensure the safe and immediate evacuation of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) from war-torn Libya on Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014. The Foreign Affairs Department and Overseas Workers Welfare Administration said about 13,000 Filipino workers are currently in Libya and less than a thousand has so far been repatriated. AP

MANILA, Philippines—Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) are backing out from being repatriated in the strife-torn Libya despite the expected arrival of a chartered ship that will ferry them to Malta, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Wednesday.

“Many of them changed their mind. In Misrata, there were 610 who signed up as of August 10, now there are only 365,” DFA spokesman Charles Jose said in a briefing.

ADVERTISEMENT

“In Benghazi, there were 490 who signed up last August 9, but now there are only 477,” he said.

The chartered ship has a capacity of 1,500 and was rented by the Philippine Government at a cost of $1.8 million. It sailed from Malta last August 12 and will dock at the ports of Benghazi on August 13 for five hours to load Filipinos there.

FEATURED STORIES

It will then travel to the port of Misrata to dock and load OFWs for five hours on August 14 after which it will go back to Malta where Philippine Airlines chartered planes will fly them to Manila.

Asked why the Filipinos there had backed out, Jose simply said “they were the ones who called the [Philippine Embassy in Tripoli] and asked their name to be removed from the list.”

“Of course we want to save our OFWs there and alert level 4 (mandatory repatriation) has been raised there since July 20. Many had already registered but then they backed out.

Jose admitted that despite being called “mandatory” repatriation, the DFA couldn’t really force them. He said it’s still up to them whether they want to leave or not.

Jose said he has already asked the Philippine Embassy what reasons the Filipinos there gave for backing out, but they have not yet responded to him.

There were initially around 13,000 Filipinos in Libya. More than 1,000 were already repatriated since the violence broke out again in the fragile nation.

Filipinos were previously repatriated from the country in 2011 because of the rampant violence that led to the fall of dictator Muammar Gadhaffi who has been in power for 40 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

The peace was broken again in 2014 as rival militia groups fight for control of territory amid weak government control.

RELATED STORIES

Evacuation of OFWs in Libya rescheduled for August 13

Evacuation of OFWs in Libya deferred

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Features, Global Nation, Libya, ofws, repatriation
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.