Home » Cebu Daily News » News

Curfew in wake of teen’s rape, murder

First Posted 13:49:00 03/30/2009

  • Reprint this article
  • Send as an e-mail
  • Post a comment
  • Share

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines - Lapu-Lapu City officials said they will give teeth to an existing curfew ordinance prohibiting minors from loitering from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. to prevent a repeat of the rape murder of a 13-year-old girl in Barangay (village) Looc last Thursday evening.

?We (cannot implement the) ordinance because we still do not have its implementing rules and regulations. We also want to assign which government agencies or departments that will coordinate with the police to implement the ban,? Lapu-Lapu City Vice Mayor Mario Amores said.

The ordinance will be included in this Wednesday's meeting of the City Peace and Order Council.

Amores said Superintendent Mariano Natu-el, Lapu-Lapu City police director, will be required to submit an update on the city's peace and order situation.

?In (the case of the gang rape), we want to know whether they (police) still consider this an isolated case or is it already a general problem in the city. We are always monitoring Bloods and Crips (gangs) but we did not know there were new groups which are more violent,? Amores said.

The results of the special CPOC meeting will be discussed at the City Council regular sessions scheduled later in the afternoon.

The 13-year-old victim, Charisse Sarusal, was found dead and covered with leaves in a vacant lot in Purok (district) Gumamela, Barangay Looc.

She was raped and stabbed several times by six suspects including 19-year-old Victorio Yamis and five other minors aged 13, 14, 14, 16, and 17.

One of the suspects, a 16-year-old boy, led police to the area Thursday night.

The boy earlier confessed that he and five others left her body there following a night of carousing, gang rape and rugby intoxication.

The boy said he was bothered by his conscience over what they had done.

Police said Charisse had been raped by members of her own gang called ?Youngsters.?

Lawmen rounded up five other male suspects and placed them under the custody of the City Social Welfare Office because they were minors.

Based on initial investigation, Charisse wanted to break off from the group, which may have caused resentment.

Police said the stab wounds on Charisse's body appeared to be inflicted by an ice pick and a kitchen knife.

Other wounds were believed to be cuts caused by the sharp edges of an outcrop of black Mactan rocks.

blog comments powered by Disqus

  • Print this article
  • Send as an e-mail
  • Most Read RSS
  • Share
© Copyright 2015 INQUIRER.net. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.