outbrain
Close  

No Filipinos hurt or involved in Venezuela crisis—Palace

/ 04:53 PM March 07, 2014

Motorcyclists watch Bolivarian National Guards arrive after the motorcyclists tried to remove street barricades placed anti-government protesters, which broke out in clashes between them and the residents of Los Ruices neighborhood in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, March 6, 2014. The car in the foreground was burned during the clashes that officials say killed a National Guard member and a civilian. AP

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang said it has not yet received reports of Filipinos hurt or involved in the political unrest in Venezuela.

“So far, we have not gotten reports of any Filipino who has been injured, or at least involved in the mass actions, and hopefully, it stays that way,” presidential deputy spokesperson Abigail Valte said at a televised press briefing on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Venezuela is in a political crisis amid violent clashes between protesters and government supporters and troops.

The protesters were calling for the resignation of President Nicolas Maduro over the country’s economic woes. Maduro succeeded the late Hugo Chavez.

FEATURED STORIES

Valte said in her experience, Filipinos tend to follow the orders of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), which issued a crisis alert level 2 in Venezuela.

The DFA told Filipinos there to limit their movements and prepare for possible evacuation.

Overseas Filipino workers with existing contracts in Venezuela are the only ones that will be allowed to return to the country while newly-hired workers would no longer be deployed by the Department of Labor and Employment, the DFA said.

Foreign affairs spokesperson Raul Hernandez said there is an estimated 104 Filipino nationals in the strife-torn country. Meanwhile, the Commission on Filipinos Overseas said there are 263 Filipinos in Venezuela as of December 2012.

RELATED STORIES

OFWs in Venezuela told to prepare for evacuation

2 dead as Venezuelans clash at protest barricades

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Abigail Valte, Department of Foreign Affairs, Malacañang, Nicolas Maduro, Overseas Filipino workers, Raul Hernandez, Venezuela
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.