Aquino urged to apologize to kin of slain tourists in Manila hostage crisis
MANILA, Philippines – President Benigno Aquino III should apologize to the relatives of tourists who were killed last year in the hostage-taking incident at the Quirino Grandstand, lawmakers were quoted as saying in a report on 990AM said Tuesday.
Akbayan representative Walden Bello was quoted as saying that it would be a good move for the head of the state to personally show regret towards the crisis that rocked the nation and strained relations with the Hong Kong government after eight of its nationals were killed in botched rescue operations by authorities.
Aurora representative Sonny Angara said that there was nothing to lose if Aquino would apologize to the Hong Kong government, said the report.
Sibak partylist Sherwin Tugna said the Philippine government should accede to the survivors’ demand for compensation as a humanitarian act, said the report.
Malacanang has said that it wasn’t planning to apologize to the Hong Kong government, a year after a disgruntled police officer held hostage a busload of tourists at the Quirino Grandstand and was killed, along with seven tourists, the report said.
For the report, listen to 990AM.
Danica Hermogenes, INQUIRER.net
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.