PH adds Czech Republic in list of countries with travel curbs over new virus variant | Global News
Close  

PH adds Czech Republic in list of countries with travel curbs over new virus variant

By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 09:33 PM January 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Czech Republic has been included in the list of countries with travel restrictions in the Philippines due to the new Covid-19 variant, Malacañang said Tuesday.

The travel restriction imposed on Czech Republic will take effect starting January 28, according to presidential spokesperson Harry Roque. But the government earlier said travel curbs against countries with detected coronavirus variants will only last until January 31 – although extendible upon the discretion of President Rodrigo Duterte.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Filipino citizens coming from, or who have been to the Czech Republic, within 14 days immediately preceding arrival in the Philippines, including those arriving after January 28, 2021, 12:01AM, Manila time, shall be allowed to enter the Philippines,” Roque said in a statement.

Passengers entering the country must undergo a swab test upon arrival, he added, and must also remain under strict quarantine until the results of their second swab test, to be administered on their fifth day in isolation, is released.

FEATURED STORIES

“Those who tested negative from both RT-PCR [reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction] tests will be endorsed to their respective local government units, which will strictly monitor the remainder of their 14-day quarantine,” Roque said.

READ: PH extends travel restriction on countries with new COVID-19 variant until Jan 31

So far, there are 17 individuals in the Philippines who have been confirmed infected with the UK variant of SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes Covid-19.

The first confirmed case is a 29-year-old male patient from Quezon City who traveled to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, in December and came home to the Philippines in early January.

Of the 16 other cases, 12 were from Bontoc in Mountain Province, two were returning overseas Filipino workers from Lebanon, from La Trinidad in Benguet, and another from Calamba, Laguna.

Earlier this week, health authorities said the 23-year-old man from Calamba whose specimen was collected on December 10, 2020 was the country’s earliest case of the UK Covid-19 variant.

RELATED STORY

DOH: No reported spike of Covid-19 cases in Calamba despite detection of UK variant

KGA

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, covid-19 variant, Czech Republic, Duterte, Malacañang, new variant, Palace, pandemic, President Rodrigo Duterte, travel restriction, UK variant
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.