China’s FM Wang Yi affirms support for Duterte’s ‘Build Build Build’ projects
MANILA, Philippines — Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi disclosed that China is committed to supporting President Rodrigo Duterte’s “Build Build Build” projects, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Saturday.
In a statement, DFA said Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Boy Locsin Jr. had a bilateral meeting this Saturday with Wang as they “pledged to forge ahead with sustained policy dialogues, as well as economic and infrastructure cooperation projects.”
Also during the meeting, the DFA said “Wang affirmed China’s commitment to supporting the President’s infrastructure drive under the Build Build Build program.”
Duterte previously revealed that the Chinese-backed projects will continue despite the 24 Chinese state-owned companies that were blacklisted by the United States because of the firms’ involvement in the reclamation of Philippine islands in the South China Sea.
One of the projects includes the Sangley Point International Airport project, a joint venture of Lucio Tan’s MacroAsia Corp. and China Communications Construction Co. Ltd. (CCCC), one of the firms blacklisted by the U.S.
Locsin and Wang also confirmed the establishment of a “fast lane for urgently needed personnel exchanges between the two nations.”
This includes “the movement of essential official exchanges and travel by personnel in crucial industries such as business and trade, infrastructure, logistics, production, and technical services,” DFA said.
Locsin’s official visit to China will be from Oct. 9 to Oct. 11 on the invitation of Wang, DFA said.
Locsin’s Chinese counterpart received him at Tengchong in China’s southern province of Yunnan.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.