Close  

Palace: China wants closure of Recto Bank incident

/ 02:17 PM July 02, 2019
Palace: China wants closure of Recto Bank incident

Presidential Spokesperson Atty. Salvador Panelo. INQUIRER file photo

MANILA, Philippines—China wants to put an end on the issue surrounding the Recto Bank incident saying it has been affecting its diplomatic relations with the Philippines, Malacañang said Tuesday.

In a Palace briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo claimed that Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Zhao Jianhua has expressed their government’s desire to resolve the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We have to put closure to this because our relations are being affected,” Panelo told reporters, quoting Zhao as supposedly saying in a text message.

Panelo also claimed that reports of the ramming and sinking of a Filipino fishing boat by a Chinese vessel in the West Philippine Sea had been blown up by the administration’s detractors and have been used against President Rodrigo Duterte.

“Sa akin ‘yun ang impression ko na mini-milk lang ng kalaban ni Presidente. Ginagatasan lang, ginagamit (against him). Kaya we have to put closure to this. Pinapalaki na hindi naman dapat pang-palakihin,” he said.

On June 9, 22 Filipino fishermen were left adrift in the open sea for hours after their boat was hit by a Chinese vessel while anchored in Recto Bank. A Vietnamese ship later rescued them.

Recto Bank is within the Philippines’ 200-nautical mile Exclusive Economic Zone, which guarantees the country’s exclusive rights to the natural resources in the area.

READ: China fishing vessel sinks Filipino boat after ‘collision’ in West Philippine Sea

The incident has been in the headlines in recent weeks.

Duterte has downplayed the incident as a ‘little maritime accident,” prompting backlash from his critics for supposedly kowtowing to China’s aggression in the disputed areas.

However, Panelo, who is also Duterte’s chief legal counsel, claimed that the issue hardly affects the President’s popularity.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Tignan mo ‘yung popularidad niya sa next survey, hindi naman naapektuhan,” he said.

The two governments are currently conducting separate investigations into the incident after China earlier rejected Duterte’s suggestion for a third party investigating panel. (Editor: Jonathan P. Vicente)

RELATED STORIES: 

China ‘seriously, thoroughly’ probing incident at Recto Bank – Panelo

China to release result of probe on sinking of PH boat ‘soon’ – Palace

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: China, Global Nation, local news, Panelo, Philippine news update, Recto Bank
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.