China to release result of probe on sinking of PH boat ‘soon’ – Palace
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Tuesday said China will “soon” release the result of its investigation on the sinking of a Philippine fishing boat in the West Philippine Sea.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo in an interview with reporters in Malacañang did not give a timeline, but said: “Palagay ko malapit na ring matapos ‘yon. Sabi ni Ambassador soon daw,” referring to Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jianhua.
In an earlier interview with CNN Philippines, Panelo, who also serves as President Rodrigo Duterte’s chief legal counsel, prodded the Chinese government to make public the result of its investigation on the June 9 Recto (Reed) Bank incident.
“Kailangan ilabas na lang nila,” Panelo said.
Zhao previously told Panelo in a text message that the Chinese government was “seriously” and “thoroughly” investigating the probe.
President Rodrigo Duterte told reporters on Monday night that the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) have finished their own joint probe into the Chinese vessel’s ramming and sinking of a Philippine fishing boat in the West Philippine Sea.
In a separate interview, Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said the report was already submitted to Malacañang on June 20.
“I already have the preliminary reports from Coast Guard and Navy, okay. But the official report has yet to be prepared and given to me for publication to the people,” Duterte told reporters on Tuesday night in Mandaluyong City.
Duterte has earlier called as a “little maritime accident” the Chinese vessel’s ramming and sinking of a Filipino boat at Recto bank.
(Editor: Katherine G. Adraneda)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.