Close  

PH coordinating with Cyprus in probe of murdered 3 Filipinas

/ 03:09 PM April 26, 2019
PH validating if bodies in Cyprus mineshaft belong to missing Filipinos

Men stand and watch the investigators by a flooded mineshaft where two female bodies were found, outside of Mister village near capital Nicosia, Cyprus, Monday, April 22, 2019. Police on the east Mediterranean island nation, along with the help of the fire service, are conducting the search Monday in the wake of last week’s discovery of the bodies in the abandoned mineshaft and the disappearance of the six year-old daughter of one of the victims. (AP Photo/Petros Karadjias)

MANILA, Philippines  — The Philippine Embassy in Athens is now coordinating with Cyprus authorities to help with the investigation involving the murders of three Filipinas, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Friday.

“Embassy representatives are now in Cyprus to meet with authorities on the case and provide further assistance to the investigation, including the provision of DNA samples to help in identifying the victims,” the DFA said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

The DFA, which had extended its condolences to the families of the victims, is also providing them with updates on the case of the murdered Filipinas.

“It also stands ready to provide assistance to the victim’s families, should it be needed,” it added.

FEATURED STORIES

The DFA said the Embassy has previously reported the cases of  the missing Filipinas to authorities in Cyprus and have continuously followed up with them on those cases.”

READ: PH validating if bodies in Cyprus mineshaft belong to missing Filipinas 

“The three Filipinas—one of whom was with her daughter–were reported missing between 2017 and 2018, and authorities have initially thought that they disappeared for other reasons and  had not been victims of a violent crime,” it said.

“The DFA welcomes the break in the recent investigation in light of the discovery of bodies in the abandoned mine in Mitsero (a village in Cyprus) earlier this month,” it added.

The self-confessed suspect, a Cypriot member of the National Guard, had “met the Filipinas through a dating website,” the DFA said, quoting Cypriot  authorities.

“The child’s remains have not yet been found. It is hoped that the investigation would bring the perpetrator to justice,” the DFA added.

READ: Cyprus police search mine shaft for missing daughter of murdered Filipina

ADVERTISEMENT

According to reports, authorities found the bodies of the Filipino women in an abandoned mineshaft last April 14.  /muf

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cyprus, Filipinas, Greece, murder
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
usa

Manny Pacquiao Fight: PPV Boxing

July 20, 2019 03:04 AM

usa

How Much Did Avengers Endgame Make?

July 20, 2019 03:01 AM

usa

2020 Corvette

July 20, 2019 03:01 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.