Close  
  • share this

DFA cautions Filipinos in Nairobi after ‘terror attack’

By: - Reporter / @CMarquezINQ
/ 10:59 PM January 15, 2019
Filipino couple drowns while on honeymoon in the Maldives

Department of Foreign Affairs (Photo from the DFA Facebook account)

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) cautioned on Tuesday the Filipino community in Nairobi, Kenya to stay indoors after an attack suspected to have been carried out by terrorists.

DFA said gunfire and explosions had been heard at an upscale hotel in Kenya.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Gunfire, blast at upscale complex in Kenya’s capital

Following the incident, the Philippine Embassy in Nairobi advised more than 400 Filipinos to remain indoors and “avoid the Westland’s neighborhood where the DusitD2 hotel and office park are located.”

Citing initial reports, Philippine Ambassador to Kenya Norman Garibay said there were five fatalities in the incident which was 3 kilometers away from the Embassy.

FEATURED STORIES

The embassy was put on lockdown due to the incident. /atm

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DFA, Filipinos in Nairobi, Nairobi attack
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.