Saturday, October 20, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Carpio to gov’t: WPS joint exploration with China should comply with Constitution

/ 04:14 PM August 02, 2018

Acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio on Thursday reminded the Duterte government to assure that the country’s sovereignty will not be compromised in the proposed deal with China for a joint exploration of natural resources in the West Philippine Sea (WPS).

“As long as the joint development complies with the Philippine Constitution and there is no waiver of our sovereign rights under the arbitral ruling, I have no objection,” Carpio said in a text message sent to reporters Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Carpio made the reaction after Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano announced that the Philippine government would ink a joint exploration deal with China that is “equal or better” than its contract in Malampaya.

China has earlier expressed its willingness to a 60-40 possible joint exploration in the West Philippine Sea, where the 60 percent would go to the Philippines while China would get the remaining 40 percent.

FEATURED STORIES

There are no details yet on the possible Philippines-China joint exploration said Cayetano. /muf

RELATED STORY: Hontiveros: Proposed oil exploration with China ‘treacherous’

RELATED VIDEO

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Carpio, China, joint exploration, West Philippine Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.