Palace welcomes US’ $2M support for PH war on drugs
Malacañang welcomed the $2 million support of the United States for the drug demand reduction programs in the Philippines.
“President (Donald) Trump announced $2 million to support drug demand reduction programs in the Philippines,” A White House statement released on Wednesday said.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said President Rodrigo Duterte would “appreciate” Washington’s assistance.
“I’m sure, although it was announced belatedly that the Philippine President or President Duterte will appreciate this commitment to the war against drug,” Roque said in a Palace briefing.
“That proves without doubt that the US President supports the war on drugs. Why would he otherwise give two million dollars to this cause if he thinks it’s not being implemented correctly?” he added.
Trump and Duterte met in the Philippines during the 31st Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) Summit where the two leaders hold a bilateral meeting.
Roque had earlier said the two leaders had a “warm and cordial” bilateral meeting.
Before he boarded the Air Force One to return to the US on Tuesday afternoon, Trump told Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea his appreciation for the warm welcome Duterte showed during his visit to the Philippines.
“Thank you very much, I had a great time and tell Rodrigo I like him very much,” Medialdea quoted Trump as saying. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.