outbrain
Close  

2,700 foreigners barred

/ 07:42 AM July 27, 2017

More than 2,700 foreigners who failed to justify their travel to the country were turned away during the first six months as part of the Bureau of Immigration’s (BI) drive against undesirable aliens.

BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said that 2,421 out of the 2,717 aliens who were barred from entering the country from January to June this year were intercepted at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 296 others, meanwhile, were intercepted at the airports of Cebu, Davao, Clark, Iloilo, Kalibo, Laoag and Puerto Princesa, and the Zamboanga seaport in Zamboanga City.

Morente said the number of aliens denied entry during the first semester was 39 percent higher than the 1,948 aliens who were turned away in the same period last year.

FEATURED STORIES

“We shall continue to exercise utmost vigilance in screening arriving foreigners by seeing to it that they are properly documented and are not likely to become public charges while they are here,” the BI chief said in a statement.  —TINA G. SANTOS

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bureau of Immigration, Jaime Morente, undesirable aliens
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.