Close  
  • share this
AFTER CARPIO REMARK ON PRESIDENT’S INACTION OVER PH TERRITORY

Duterte using ‘conflict-free’ policy in sea dispute, says Palace

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 02:24 PM June 06, 2017

[ventuno id=’OTQ2MTUyfHwyMzY4fHwxMDg2fHwxLDIsMQ==’][/ventuno]

Malacañang on Tuesday said President Rodrigo Duterte was employing a conflict-free strategy in dealing with the country’s maritime dispute with China over the South China Sea, refuting criticisms that the Chief Executive had been weak in pushing for our claim.

ADVERTISEMENT

Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella issued the statement after Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonio Carpio said the government was not doing enough to press our claims in the disputed sea.

READ: Carpio: Duterte hasn’t done anything yet to defend PH territories

FEATURED STORIES

“The President has respect for Justice Carpio and he can assure the justice and the people of the Philippines that the policies of this administration are not only directed in protecting the sovereignty of the republic, they are also directed in ensuring that our nation and our region remains conflict-free,” Abella said in a Palace briefing.

“The President sees those two objectives as complimentary and in the best interest for our country,” he added.

The Palace official said the President and his Cabinet were “working with the governments of all nations with legitimate interest in the South China Sea to ensure that our national interests are protected and the region remains zone of peace.”

“Confrontation does not serve the interest of our country; that’s why we are committed to a process of engagement and negotiation that will ensure that our rights are respected and protected well into the future,” he said.

The Philippines’ current foreign policy with China, he said, has achieved substantive progress in talks in Beijing, reduced tensions, and strengthened our economic cooperation.

The Philippines and China had started a bilateral consultative mechanism in May to discuss the “sensitive” issue of the South China Sea.

During his bilateral meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Bejing in May, Duterte said Xi threatened war if the Philippines insisted on pressing its claims in the South China Sea. JE

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Duterte: China threatened war

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Abella, Carpio, China, Duterte, Maritime Dispute, South China Sea, Territory, West Philippine Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.