Palace apologizes to family of slain businessman, Korean gov’t
The Philippine government apologized Tuesday to the bereaved family of South Korean businessman Jee Ick-joo and to the Korean government over the grisly kidnap-slay case.
“We wish to take this occasion to express the condolences and sympathies of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte and the Filipino people to Mrs. Choi Kyung Jin, widow of Jee Ick Joo, the South Korean national who met untimely death while in police custody,” Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a press briefing.
Abella assured justice would be served to the family of the slain South Korean businessman.
“We apologize to the South Korean government and people for this irreparable loss. But we commit the full force of the law to ensure that justice is served and not delayed. To the Korean people, please accept our sincerest and deepest regrets,” he said.
Jee was murdered inside Camp Crame in Quezon City after he was kidnapped in October last year by a group led by a rogue policeman who extorted ransom from the victim’s wife.
Jee, together with their house help Marisa D. Morquicho, was taken by two unidentified men from their house in Pampanga on Oct. 18, 2016. RAM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.