How will the tribunal verdict on PH-vs-China case be issued?
There will be no ceremonies, no photo ops, not even a speech to announce the decision of the arbitral tribunal on the Philippines versus China case over the South China Sea dispute.
On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 the verdict of one of the most high-profile international arbitration cases in recent history will be handed down to parties and to the public digitally.
“There will be no in-person meeting or ceremony for the rendering of the Award,” the international Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) said in its statement last June 29, 2016.
“The Award will first be issued via e-mail to the Parties, along with an accompanying Press Release containing a summary of the Award,” it said.
Nations which observed the proceedings, PCA Member States, PCA Members of Court, the public and the media will also receive e-mails of the decision.
After the e-mails have been sent, the decision will also be uploaded to their website.
The Philippines initiated the arbitration proceedings against China on January 22, 2013 following a tense standoff between Philippine and Chinese naval vessels at Scarborough shoal the previous year.
China claims the entire South China Sea as part of its “nine-dash line” claim which overlaps with the Philippines 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
China has refused to participate in any part of the arbitration proceedings insisting it has “undisputed sovereignty” over the South China Sea.
The tribunal has previously ruled that it has jurisdiction over the case and has heard the arguments submitted by the Philippines. CDG/rga
Subscribe to our global nation newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.