Filipino photographer trapped for an hour in burning Dubai hotel | Global News
Close  

Filipino photographer trapped for an hour in burning Dubai hotel

/ 03:20 PM January 01, 2016
This image taken from AP video shows smoke and flames pouring from a residential building, which also contains the Address Downtown Hotel, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, Thursday evening, Dec. 31, 2015. (AP Photo/Jon Gambrell)

This image taken from AP video shows smoke and flames pouring from a residential building, which also contains the Address Downtown Hotel, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, Thursday evening, Dec. 31, 2015. (AP Photo/Jon Gambrell)

A Filipino photojournalist was trapped inside the burnt The Address Downtown Hotel in Dubai on New Year’s Eve, a report by the Khaleej Times said.

The report said Dennis Mallari, who was working for a local newspaper, was stranded at the balcony of the hotel’s 48th floor. He and his colleague were given access to the top floors to take photos of the fireworks display at the nearby Burj Khalifa.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I was busy clicking pictures when my colleague suddenly screamed that there was a fire,” Mallari was quoted as saying. “I looked around, trying to understand the situation. By this time, I saw my colleague had run away.”

Mallari said he started gathering his things and attempted to vacate the hotel, but the “thick and black” smoke prompted him to run back to the balcony.

FEATURED STORIES

“I had no option but to stand there waiting for help,” he said.

Noting that not so many people were on the same floor when the blaze started, Mallari called the police and informed them that he was stuck in one of the top floors.

“I don’t know how long I stood there waiting to be rescued,” he said. “Finally the Civil Defence reached me using the ladder.”

Mallari was rescued unharmed, but was treated for smoke inhalation.

The report also quoted the photojournalist’s wife as saying that Mallari called her and said that he would make a rope out of the bedsheets to escape from the balcony.

“I was so worried for him. He said there is a lot of smoke in there and he has been stuck for quite a long time,” the wife said.

Subscribe to our global nation newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS:
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our global news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.