outbrain
Close  

Fil-Am woman in cryotherapy accident died of suffocation

/ 11:22 AM November 11, 2015
Chelsea Patricia Ake-Salvacion

This undated file photo provided by Albert Ake is a selfie of his niece Chelsea Patricia Ake-Salvacion. The Clark County coroner’s office ruled Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2015, that Ake-Salvacion died from asphyxia caused by low oxygen levels. She was found on Oct. 20 at the spa where she worked after apparently entering the treatment chamber chilled by liquid nitrogen while she was alone at the location the night before. AP FILE PHOTO

LAS VEGAS — Weeks after a spa worker was found dead at a Las Vegas cryotherapy center, authorities said Tuesday she suffocated in the chamber chilled by liquid nitrogen.

Filipina Chelsea Patricia Ake-Salvacion, 24, died accidentally from the asphyxia caused by low oxygen levels, the Clark County coroner’s office said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The death drew scrutiny to the treatment where people are subjected to extremely low temperatures not found anywhere on Earth.

READ: Fil-Am in Nevada cryotherapy chamber died in seconds

FEATURED STORIES

Backers claim it can ease pain and inflammation, aid blood flow and weight loss, improve skin and even ward off aging and depression.

The treatments, however, have not been approved for medical use by the US Food and Drug Administration.

The coroner’s ruling will likely factor into the Nevada health department’s broad investigation of cryotherapy, which could result in some of the first regulations of its kind worldwide.

Family members of Ake-Salvacion said they would keep pushing for regulation of the unproven treatments.

“Accidental death from an oxygen poor environment raises more questions than it answers,” said a statement released by family attorney Richard Harris. “Chelsea died from breathing poisonous liquid nitrogen produced from a cryotherapy chamber touted for its health benefits.”

Cryotherapy can involve two- to four-minute-long exposures to temperatures ranging from minus-166 to minus-319 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ake-Salvacion was found on Oct. 20 at the Rejuvenice spa where she worked after apparently entering the cryotherapy chamber while she was alone the night before.

ADVERTISEMENT

The coroner’s office said she died in an “oxygen-poor environment.”

Normal air is about 21 percent oxygen, but the coroner said cryotherapy chambers can bring down that level to less than 5 percent during treatments.

“Breathing air with this low level of oxygen can quickly result in unconsciousness and then death,” the coroner’s office said.

Her family has said Ake-Salvacion was found crumpled at the bottom of the machine about the size of a phone booth. They do not believe she made any mistakes that night, insisting she was an experienced operator of the machine.

Harris has said Ake-Salvacion had texted a friend about a possible nitrogen leak in the machine, noting that the nitrogen appeared to be used quickly.

The owners of Rejuvenice have not returned calls and emails seeking comment. They were forced to shut down Rejuvenice locations over a lack of state and local approvals unrelated to the death.

READ: Cryotherapy use spreads, though it’s unproven, unregulated

State Occupational Safety and Health investigators have said Ake-Salvacion should not have been using the cryotherapy chamber after hours. Las Vegas police say no crime was suspected.

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: asphyxia, Cryotherapy, Death, Fil-Am, liquid nitrogen, suffocation
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.