2 Yolanda emergency response teams honored in Los Angeles

/ 05:41 AM November 10, 2014
Ambassador Jose L. Cuisia, Jr. presents a plaque of commendation to members of Team Rubicon during ceremonies in Los Angeles on Friday, Nov. 7. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

Ambassador Jose L. Cuisia, Jr. presents a plaque of commendation to members of Team Rubicon during ceremonies in Los Angeles on Friday, Nov. 7. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

LOS ANGELES— Two California-based emergency response groups were honored for saving as many as 2,000 lives in Leyte in the immediate aftermath of last year’s devastating Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda.

In separate ceremonies here, Ambassador Jose L. Cuisia, Jr. presented plaques of commendation to Mammoth Medical Missions of Mammoth Lakes and Team Rubicon of Los Angeles for the crucial role they played as the first foreign responders to arrive in typhoon-devastated Leyte.


“Many of our kababayans are alive today because of Mammoth Medical Missions and Team Rubicon,” Cuisia said.

“The casualty list could have been higher had Mammoth Medical Missions and Team Rubicon not made it to the area on time. As a result, numerous lives in Tanauan and nearby areas were saved.”


Described as the most powerful storm in modern history, Haiyan killed more than 6,000 people, injured close to 30,000 and displaced more than four million in its rampage across the Central Philippines. It also affected the lives of another 12 million in 44 provinces.

Cuisia recalled that it was at the height of Haiyan’s fury that the Philippine Embassy in Washington, DC received calls from Mammoth Medical Missions and Team Rubicon requesting permission to deploy teams to the Philippines.

He said Mammoth Medical’s team of 16 doctors and nurses led by Dr. Michael Karch was on its way to a mission in Mexico when they decided to divert to the Philippines where their expertise in mass casualty incidents would be put to better use.

At the same time, Team Rubicon, made up largely of military veterans, was also organizing a team for immediate deployment.

However, both teams could not proceed immediately to Manila as regulations require foreign medical missions to first secure permission from the Department of Health. The process takes at least 48 hours.

“We knew the situation was critical and time was of the essence,” Cuisia said, adding that he immediately called Health Secretary Enrique Ona in Manila and convinced him to waive the requirements for both teams.

Cuisia said he then called then Armed Forces Chief of Staff General Emmanuel Bautista and secured his commitment to make sure both teams reached the disaster area. The Embassy also requested Pilipinas 911, a local response group, to assist the two teams.


Less than 72 hours after Haiyan struck, Mammoth Medical was in Tanauan, Leyte, making it the first foreign rescue team to reach Ground Zero. It was followed a day later by Team Rubicon.

“Looking back, I know we made the right call,” Cuisia said. “Numerous lives were saved because of our friends from Mammoth Medical Missions and Team Rubicon and for that we will forever be grateful.” ###


Leyte town Mayor Pel Tecson draws road map to recovery

American veterans join US humanitarian contingent for ‘Yolanda’ victims

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Ambassador Jose L. Cuisia, emergency responders, emergency response teams, Leyte, Mammoth Lakes Medical Missions, Tacloban, Tanauan, Team Rubicon, Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.