Philippines bans new deployment to Kenya
MANILA, Philippines—Citing the rapidly deteriorating security situation in Kenya, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Saturday has banned the deployment of new Filipino workers to the East African country.
“No new deployment of workers is allowed with the exception of workers in the United Nations agencies in Kenya,” the DFA said in a statement as it raised alert level 2 or restriction phase in Kenya.
The DFA said the restriction phase only allows returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) with existing employment contracts.
Under Alert Level 2, Filipinos are advised to restrict movement and avoid unnecessary travel and crowded places, it added.
Filipinos in Kenya are encouraged to contact the Philippine Embassy in Nairobi for instructions.
Kenya has witnessed a notable increase in attacks since deploying troops in October 2011 to fight al-Shabab militants.
Al-Shabab claimed responsibility for a deadly attack last month on the town of Mpeketoni on the Kenyan coast and another attack the following day on a nearby village. Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and the interior minister have blamed local political networks for those attacks — assertions that have been met with skepticism.
There are some 440 Filipinos in Kenya, most of whom are residing in the capital Nairobi. With Associated Press
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.