Quantcast
Latest Stories

Malaysian terrorist hiding in Moro rebs’ camp

By

Ameril Umbra Kato, seated, the commander of Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, is interviewed by the media inside his rebel stronghold in Maguindanao. The BIFF is said to be harboring Zulkifli bin Hir, a member of the Southeast Asian terror group Jemaah Islamiyah. AP FILE PHOTO

SULTAN KUDARAT, Maguindanao—A Malaysian wanted by the US government for terrorist activities in Southeast Asia is hiding in territory held by breakaway Moro rebels in this province, a senior Bangsamoro leader said on Thursday.

Another source said a member of the Indonesia-based Jemaah Islamiyah, the Southeast Asian affiliate of the global terrorist network al-Qaida, is also hiding in this province.

Von Al Haq, a spokesperson for the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), told the Inquirer on the phone that Zulkifli bin Hir, also known as Marwan, is being coddled by the breakaway group led by Ameril Umra Kato.

Kato, formerly commander of the MILF’s 105th Base Command, broke away from the MILF in 2008 over serious disagreements with fellow rebel leaders on peace negotiations with the government.

He has since founded the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement (BIFM) whose armed wing, the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF), was involved in recent attacks on government security forces in Maguindanao, including a roadside bomb attack in Datu Piang town that wounded seven soldiers on Wednesday.

Al Haq said Marwan might have played a role in the Aug. 5 bombing in Cotabato City that killed eight people and wounded nearly 30 others.

Earlier, National Security Adviser Cesar Garcia said on national television that the Cotabato City blast had similarities to previous attacks perpetrated by Marwan.

“That’s what we got on the ground. He’s hiding among BIFF members. We also got feedback from residents (of areas) near BIFF camps,” Al Haq said.

Marwan has been monitored in the country since 2003. He has also been reported hiding with Abu Sayyaf bandits.

Last year, a military report said Marwan had moved to Central Mindanao, an area of operation for the MILF.

Indonesian killed

A military source, who asked not to be named because he had no authority to talk to journalists, said an Indonesian national was among those killed in a recent military operation against the BIFF in Datu Piang.

In a separate talk with the Inquirer, Col. Dickson Hermoso, spokesperson for the military’s 6th Infantry Division, said there was an intelligence report that a Jemaah Islamiyah member had been sighted among Moro rebels in Datu Piang.

But Abu Misry Mama, a spokesperson for the BIFF, denied his group had ties with Marwan or any Jemaah Islamiyah member.

The MILF said it had offered to help the authorities investigate the Aug. 5 blast in Cotabato City.

“We are offering our services to work alongside the police and the military in the pursuit operation against the bombing suspects,” Ghadzali Jaafar, MILF political affairs chief, said.

Cotabato measures

Police and military authorities in Cotabato City have prohibited motorists from parking and leaving their vehicles along Sinsuat Avenue and other major roads to prevent a repeat of the Aug. 5 car-bomb attack.

The authorities have also prohibited motorcyclists from using full-head crash helmets. A full-head crash helmet has a visor that covers the rider’s face.

Senior Supt. Rolen Balquin, city police director, said the measures had been decided following Monday’s attack whose perpetrators remain unidentified despite talk by authorities that they already had suspects.

President Aquino indicated during a visit to Davao City on Thursday that the bombings in Mindanao were the handiwork of terrorists.

Balquin said the 5-kilometer stretch of Sinsuat Avenue, the city’s main road, had been declared a “no parking area” for all four-wheel vehicles.

“This is to protect commuters and avoid similar car-bomb attacks in the future,” he said.

He said traffic officers would tow away vehicles left unattended and parked along Sinsuat Avenue, and the owners would be called in for questioning.

The prohibition against the use of full-head crash helmets will be strictly enforced, especially at night, Balquin said.

He said the measure stemmed from the police frustration at not being able to solve killings in the city carried out by gunmen riding motorcycles and wearing full-head crash helmets.

 

Terrorists can’t win

Businessmen in Mindanao said the bombings would not stop them from promoting the island to investors.

“We cannot be deterred. We just have to move forward. Being deterred means they—those who want to create trouble—have won,” Ricardo Juliano, vice president for Mindanao of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI), said in a speech at the Mindanao Business Conference held in Davao City on Thursday.

Juliano said not all the bombings had been traced to terror groups reportedly operating in some parts of the island. Some have been traced to people who had specific targets, he said.

“It’s plain and simple criminality,” he said.

Juliano said businessmen had agreed to tackle other pressing concerns, particularly preparatory measures for the integration of Southeast Asian economies by 2015.

Perfecto Marquez, PCCI regional governor for Central Mindanao, said the public should not be overly bothered by the recent spate of bombings.

“We will not let the terrorists or those people behind the atrocities succeed, because if we get scared they will achieve their objective,” Marquez said. “We will not be cowed by these people.”

Monthlong fiesta

Cagayan de Oro City is getting back on its feet after a blast at a restaurant killed eight people and wounded 46 others on July 26.

Mayor Oscar Moreno said the city would proceed to celebrate a monthlong fiesta in honor of St. Augustine this August despite security concerns.

Insp. Lemuel Gonda, operations chief of the city police, said the authorities had finalized security and response plans. With reports from Edwin Fernandez, Charlie Señase, Allan Nawal, Bobby Lagsa and Orlando Dinoy, Inquirer Mindanao

 

 

Related Stories:

Gov’t, Moro breakaway faction clash repeatedly

2 Malaysians charged with promoting terrorism


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Bangsamoro , Malaysia , Moro rebels , Southeast Asia , terrorist activites , US government



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Suspected militant, son killed in Thailand’s south
  • Iran mother spares life of son’s killer after campaign
  • Japan to hunt fewer whales in Pacific this season
  • Deal brings no immediate change to eastern Ukraine
  • China says one-fifth of its farmland is polluted
  • Sports

  • Pacquiao shorts in Bradley fight sold for P1.7M in LA auction
  • Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants
  • Alonso sets the pace in Chinese GP practice
  • Heat seek Three-peat but Spurs, Pacers top seeds
  • Can Spurs get back at Heat? Can they survive West?
  • Lifestyle

  • Levine designs womenswear with help from fiancee
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • Entertainment

  • EXO postpones release of mini album ‘Overdose’
  • ‘X-men’ filmmaker slams ‘fabricated’ sex attack claims
  • Singer Chris Brown’s bodyguard on trial in DC
  • Whoopi Goldberg debuts as marijuana columnist
  • ‘X-men’ director accused of sex assault on teen boy
  • Business

  • Italy sells luxury state cars on eBay
  • Asian shares mostly up in quiet trade
  • Dollar up in Asia on US jobs data, Ukraine deal
  • Barbie doll has a problem
  • Oil prices mixed ahead of long Easter weekend
  • Technology

  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Filipinos #PrayForSouthKorea
  • Taylor Swift tries video blogging, crashes into fan’s bridal shower
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • DoH denies Filipino nurse no longer positive for MERS virus
  • WHO warns vs spread of MERS-Cov, urges vigilance in taking precautions
  • Last call for nominations to ’14 Presidential Awards
  • San Francisco business coalition slams proposed tax on sugary drinks
  • A ‘time-travel’ production of ‘Les Miserable’ at Stanford
  • Marketplace