3 US men indicted in terror plot case
Members of the media gather outside the home of 21-year-old Miguel Alejandro Santana Vidriales of Upland, Calif. Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2012. Vidriales is one of four Southern California men who have been charged with plotting to kill Americans and destroy U.S. targets overseas by joining al-Qaida and the Taliban in Afghanistan, federal officials said Monday. In one online conversation, Santana told an FBI undercover agent that he wanted to commit jihad and expressed interest in a jihadist training camp in Jalalabad, Afghanistan. AP/Damian Dovarganes
RIVERSIDE, California—Three California men have been indicted on terrorism-related charges for allegedly plotting to kill Americans overseas.
An indictment filed Wednesday charges Ralph Deleon, Miguel Alejandro Santana Vidriales and Arifeen David Gojali with conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists. If convicted, they each could face up to 15 years in prison.
The three men were arrested earlier this month. Federal authorities say they planned to board a plane headed for Istanbul and eventually make their way to Afghanistan. Authorities allege the men were to meet up with a ringleader, 34-year-old American Sohiel Omar Kabir, who also is facing terrorism-related charges.
In a 77-page affidavit, which includes references to the group’s online video conversations and audio recordings, federal officials say the men planned attacks on military bases overseas.
Arifeen David Gojali
Miguel Alejandro Santana Vidriales
Ralph De Leon
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk.
Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate.
Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94