outbrain
Close  
HOSTAGE CRISIS

HK insists on PH apology, warns of more sanctions

By: - NewsLab Lead / @MSantosINQ
/ 04:16 PM February 18, 2014

In this file photo taken on August 23, 2010, Philippine policemen take position as they start their attack on a hijacked tourist bus in Manila. AFP FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines – Hong Kong warned the Philippines that it will implement further sanctions unless the demand for an apology over the failed rescue operation during the 2010 Manila hostage crisis is met.

HK chief executive Leung Chun-yin said in a press conference Tuesday that its demand is for the Philippine government to apologize for the lapses of officials in handling the rescue operation and not for the acts of former policeman Rolando Mendoza.

ADVERTISEMENT

“[The victims and their families] are seeking an apology from the Philippine government for the failure and lapses of their officials in handling the rescue operation during which eight HK residents lost their lives and seven others sustained injuries,” Leung said.

“I urge the Philippine government to demonstrate sincerity and resolve in bringing the discussion to a satisfactory conclusion so that we do not have to implement further sanctions,” he said.

FEATURED STORIES

Leung said that their demand for an apology was in line with the findings of the official investigation conducted by the government which found then Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim and several police officials had lapses on handling the crisis.

The report recommended the filing of administrative and criminal charges against Manila City officials, police officials, and several others including journalists who got in the way of the operation but none were filed.

HK previously imposed sanctions against the Philippines by cancelling visa-free arrangements for government officials and diplomatic passport holders.

Philippine officials, however, said that it was not considering giving an apology and instead offered further compensation for the victims.

“Our position has been clear and consistent. The door to further discussions between the two sides remain open and the ball is in the Philippine court,” Leung said.

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: apology, Global Nation, Hong Kong, leung chun-yin, luneta hostage, Philippines, president Aquino iii, sanctions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.