outbrain
Close  

Aquino to proceed to South Korea after checking on Bohol, Cebu

By: - NewsLab Lead / @MSantosINQ
/ 04:56 PM October 15, 2013

President Benigno Aquino III says his trip to South Korea will push through and blames his predecessor Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo for his dip in ratings in response to questions from the media during his visit to the NDRRMC office in Camp Aguinaldo where he was briefed by disaster agencies on the rescue and relief operations for victims of the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that struck Bohol, Cebu and other parts of Visayas and Mindanao earlier on Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2013. Video by INQUIRER.net’s Matikas Santos

ADVERTISEMENT

 

MANILA, Philippines—President Benigno Aquino III will push through with his state visit to South Korea after he has checked on the situation in Bohol and Cebu that were hit by a magnitude 7.2 earthquake Tuesday.

FEATURED STORIES

“We have to push through with it because the visit has been negotiated for a long time and we have many agreements with Korea and it is also one of our largest investors,” Aquino told reporters in an ambush interview in the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) Tuesday.

President Benigno Aquino III. AFP FILE PHOTO

“I will be going to Bohol and Cebu tomorrow and if possible other areas and if the assessment is that there are a lot of things that are not being taken cared of then we will reconsider the visit,” he said.

At least 32 have been reported killed from the quake that hit Bohol Tuesday morning which was likened by the head of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) Renato Solidum as like “32 atomic bombs”

Aquino is set to visit South Korea upon the invitation of President Park Geun-hye on October 17 to 18.

He said that President Park informed him that this was the first visit of the Philippine president to Korea.

“This meeting has already been set and if we will suddenly cancel it, it might delay our good cooperation with Korea,” he said.
RELATED STORIES:

32 dead, power down as 7.2 quake hits Bohol

ADVERTISEMENT

Netizens post scenes from Bohol quake

Cebu now under state of calamity

State of calamity declared in Bohol

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Benigno Aquino III, Bohol, Cebu, Earthquake, National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, Natural Disasters, NDRRMC, President Aquino, President Park Geun-hye, Quake
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.