California Senate honors June 12 and Filipino contributions
SACRAMENTO– California’s State Senate unanimously approved a resolution sponsored by Senate Majority Leader Ellen M. Corbett (D-East Bay) Senator Corbett honoring June 12 as Philippine Independence Day.
The state Senate also made a “special recognition of California’s Filipino American citizens” and thanked them for their “countless contributions to our nation’s cultural, economic and political heritage.”
“I thank my Senate colleagues, both Democrats and Republicans, for supporting SCR 47 today to honor Philippine independence, as well as the thriving Filipino-American community in California,” Senator Corbett said.
“The 10th State Senate District is home to tens of thousands of Filipino-Americans that contribute to the diversity of our state, in fields such as government, medicine, business and education. Visiting Naga City in the Philippines as Mayor of San Leandro during a Sister City trip helped me appreciate even more the strong connection between our East Bay communities and the beautiful island nation of the Philippines. I greatly appreciate their rich history and traditions that live on in California today.”
Many Filipino-Americans continue to make an indelible mark on life in California, including several individuals that live and work in the 10th State Senate District. Some of those community leaders include:
· Assemblymember Rob Bonta (First Filipino-American elected to the California Legislature)
· Chief Justice of California Tani Cantil-Sakauye
· Philippine Consul General Marciano Paynor Jr.
· Appointments Secretary Mona Pasquil
· “Godmother” of Filipino American Politics ‘Tita’ Alice Bulos
· Union City Councilmember Pat Gacoscos
· Union City Councilmember Jim Navarro
· Milpitas Mayor Jose Esteves
· West Sacramento Mayor Christopher Cabaldon
· Berryessa Union School District Board Member Thelma Boac
· New Haven Unified School District President Linda Canlas
· Cerritos Mayor Pro Tem Mark Pulido
Senator Corbett hosted a Capitol reception following the Philippine Independence Day recognitions on the Senate Floor.
Subscribe to our global nation newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.