outbrain
Close  

PH thanks Taiwan for call to citizens not to harm Filipino workers

By: - Deputy Day Desk Chief / @TJBurgonioINQ
/ 07:45 PM May 22, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — In a sign of easing tensions, President Benigno Aquino III’s expression of gratitude to Taiwan when it urged its citizens not to harm Filipinos was received well by the Taiwanese leaders, Malacañang said on Wednesday.

After talking with his counterparts in Taiwan, Amadeo Perez, chair of the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (Meco), on Wednesday relayed the positive feedback to Abigail Valte, deputy presidential spokesperson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Protesters and lawmakers burn Philippines flag outside the Philippines representative office in Taipei, Taiwan, Monday, May 13, 2013, to protest the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman by the Philippines coast guard in disputed waters between Taiwan and the northern Philippines. AP PHOTO/WALLY SANTANA

“This was received well by the Taiwanese side, and they said that they will ensure that no harm will come to our citizens there. That’s good news,’’ Valte said in a briefing. “Based on what we’ve seen so far, it was easing a bit.’’

The President told reporters Tuesday that he was thankful to the Taiwanese leaders for their call to their nationals not to mistreat Filipino workers.

FEATURED STORIES

Tension between the Philippines and Taiwan has been running high over the fatal shooting of Taiwanese fisherman Hung Shi-chen by Philippine Coast Guard personnel in the waters off Balintang Channel in northern Philippines on May 9.

Taipei froze the hiring of new Filipino workers, expelled Manila’s envoy, suspended the travel of Taiwanese to the Philippines, and conducted military drills in disputed waters in a flurry of sanctions on Manila, and Taiwanese youngsters attacked Filipino workers.

After quibbling over joint investigation, both Manila and Taipei agreed to mount a cooperative investigation entailing an inspection of their respective vessels, helping defuse the tension.

Valte said the National Bureau of Investigation was looking into all angles as part of its exhaustive investigation of the killing. She could not say if the government investigators would get a chance to talk with the surviving crew members of the Taiwanese fishing boat.

“The investigation is very exhaustive and they’re looking at all factors that may be contributory, that may have any particular impact on the incident itself,’’ she said. “In the interest of thoroughness, any investigation would entail looking at the vessel itself.’’

Valte also said the Philippines would have to look for other markets following the cancellation of tours from Taipei to Manila.

“I understand that the DOT (Department of Tourism) will concentrate on other markets or shift their focus. Of course, we’re hoping also that this will come to pass and that, moving forward, there will be resolutions to the ongoing tension,’’ she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Abigail Valte, Amadeo Perez, attacks on Filipinos in Taiwan, death of a Taiwanese fisherman, Diplomacy, diplomatic tensions, exclusive economic zones, foreign affair, Global Nation, International relations, Malacañang, Manila Economic and Cultural Office, maritime intrusion, Meco, Overseas Filipino workers, overseas work, Philippine Coast Guard, Philippine government, Philippines, poachers, Poaching, Taiwan, Territories
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.