DFA: No Filipino fatalities reported in Morocco quake so far
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said that there were no reported Filipino deaths after a magnitude 6.8 earthquake struck near Marrakech, Morocco on Friday.
In a message to INQUIRER.net, DFA undersecretary Eduardo de Vega said that there were no reported deaths so far among the Filipino community on Saturday.
According to the Moroccan government, there were at least 296 deaths reported and 153 injuries in the immediate aftermath of the quake.
There was also a magnitude 4.9 aftershock 20 minutes after the earthquake, the US Geological Survey said.
The earthquake, which was also felt in the towns of Ighil, Rabat, and Imsouane, also damaged some historic sites.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.