3 Filipinos in Libya requested aid since start of 2020 — DFA
MANILA, Philippines — Three Filipinos in Tripoli, Libya have requested assistance from the Philippine embassy there during the early days of 2020, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Saturday.
“The Embassy will also continue to assist Filipinos who may want to avail repatriation. Three Filipinos have so far requested assistance in returning to the Philippines since the start of the year,” DFA said.
The DFA also noted that the Filipinos asked for assistance for them to return to the Philippines amid reports of airstrikes and fighting in areas of Tripoli.
Chargé d’Affaires Elmer Cato of the Philippine Embassy in Libya reiterated their warning to Filipinos to avoid places where fighting is taking place. He posted the reminder after eight Filipino nurses were rescued on Thursday from a clinic amid intense clashes near their area.
Cato also said their embassy is on alert to help Filipinos relocate to safer areas and keep them away from clashes and airstrikes in Tripoli.
“More than 20 Filipinos have already evacuated their residences in Salahuddin District and are now staying with relatives and friends. Chargé d’Affaires Cato said the Embassy will provide temporary shelter to Filipinos who will be displaced due to the ongoing clashes,” read the statement from DFA.
Citing data from the Philippine Embassy in Libya, the foreign affairs department said a total of 149 Filipinos were repatriated in 2019.
Edited by JPV
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.