Authorities verifying reports on entry of Sri Lankan suicide bombers
MANILA, Philippines — The military and police forces are currently confirming reports of two terrorists from Sri Lanka who have “slipped” into the Philippines.
In a news report from The Straits Times on Friday, two Sri Lankan terrorists, identified as Mark Kevin Samhoon and Victoria Sophia, who are allegedly suicide bombers, have entered into the Philippines to train militants to make bombs and target churches in Northern Luzon.
Brig. Gen. Edgar Arevalo, spokesman of Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), said they are coordinating with other agencies to validate the said information.
“We already have some information that we are checking with another agency. We will update you,” Arevalo said in a statement sent to reporters on Saturday.
Arevalo also called on the public to remain vigilant of any possible terror threats and report any unusual activities to police and military.
Philippine National Police (PNP), likewise, echoed AFP’s statement, noting that so far they have not received any threats.
“No reported threats to our security so far. But the PNP has been validating information circulating such as this one, in coordination with the AFP,” PNP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac said in a statement on Saturday.
Banac assured the public that the police will be “ready to respond to any call for assistance for any emergency, disaster or calamity.” /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.