Close  

Palace doubts Filipino fishers ‘besieged’ Chinese vessel at Recto Bank

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 02:49 PM June 25, 2019
Palace doubts Filipino fishers 'besieged' Chinese vessel at Recto Bank

Map showing disputed claims in the South China Sea. Includes locations for Reed Bank and Benham Rise, where Chinese survey ships were seen last year, according to the Philippine government. AFP

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang now said it doubts China’s claim that its vessel was “besieged” by Filipino fishermen after an incident at Recto (Reed) Bank in the West Philippine Sea.

READ: Panelo: Rescue of mariners not ordered by UNCLOS if they pose security threat

ADVERTISEMENT

“First of all, how can that be? [That] they will be besieged, eh nabangga nga eh, nabangga at kumalat na nga, iyong mga Filipino fishermen nakakapit na nga doon sa almost submerged boat. So parang malabo iyong – baka imagination [nila],” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Tuesday in an interview with CNN Philippines.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said a Chinese vessel rammed and eventually sunk the boat of 22 Filipino fishermen, whom it also abandoned in the open sea, last June 9.

FEATURED STORIES

In a statement on June 14, the Chinese embassy claimed that the Chinese vessel was “berthed” when around seven or eight Filipino fishing boats besieged it.

“Not really,” Panelo said when asked if he believed China’s version of the story.

He then raised questions on why the Chinese vessel left the Filipino fishermen at sea.

“You know, I’m a lawyer and I want to know exactly: why did you think that you were being besieged? For one, there is only one vessel. But I understand they were pala 19 boats, 19 fishermen’s boats. Merong mother vessel, pero merong 19 na nagkalat doon. So, ang tanong ko: iyon ba ang sinasabi ninyo?” noted Panelo, who also serves as President Rodrigo Duterte’s chief legal counsel.

“Number two, kung iyon ang sinasabi ninyo, is that valid enough [to] justify to leave the fisherman in distress? Oh iyon ang susunod na tanong doon,” he added.

Panelo cited that under Article 98 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), any fishing vessel should  rescue “a vessel in distress or passengers needing help, and if does not endanger yourselves.”

The Palace official reiterated the government’s condemnation of the Chinese vessel abandoning the Filipino fishermen.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s condemnable. Because human decency should make you help someone in distress. Eh kung nakita mo nang nakabangga ka, tapos nandoon sa tubig, ba’t hindi mo naman tutulungan,” he said. (Editor: Katherine G. Adraneda)

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: China, Diplomacy, dispute, Global Nation, local news, Maritime, Mindoro fishermen, nation, national news, News, Philippine news updates, Politics, Recto Bank, Recto Bank 22, Reed Bank, Rodrigo Duterte, sovereignty, Territory, West Philippine Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.