Close  

Palace ‘outraged’ by rape of OFW in Kuwait

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 02:19 PM June 13, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang expressed its outrage by the rape of an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) in Kuwait and assured government assistance to the family of the victim.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has reported that a Kuwaiti police raped and assaulted an OFW, adding to the long list of abuse against Filipino workers in the Gulf State.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Arrest warrant issued vs Kuwaiti police officer who raped Filipina — DFA      

“We’re certainly outraged by that,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace briefing on Thursday.

FEATURED STORIES

Panelo added that Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III was already “responding to that incident.”

The government had earlier imposed a labor ban on OFWS going to Kuwait following the death and abuses of Filipino workers there.

READ: Duterte: OFW ban to Kuwait permanent

He even urged the 260,000 Filipinos working in Kuwait, most of are domestic helpers, to return home.

The ban was later lifted after the Philippines and Kuwait signed a memorandum of agreement to  protect OFWs in the Gulf State. (Editor: Julie Espinosa)

READ: PH, Kuwait sign MOA to protect OFWs

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: abuse, Domestic Helpers, Global Nation, Global News, Kuwait, Malacañang, News, OFW, overseas Filipino worker, Philippines, Rape, Salvador Panelo
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

3-month jail term for pangolin traders

July 23, 2019 05:34 AM

newsinfo

Another La Union town says no to coal plants

July 23, 2019 05:33 AM

newsinfo

Inquirer reporter wins LaSallian Scholarum Award

July 23, 2019 05:31 AM

newsinfo

COA: DOST fails to collect P251M

July 23, 2019 05:30 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.