DOLE asks NBI to locate companion of Kuwait OFW found dead in employer’s home
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has asked the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to locate the still unidentified companion of an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who was found dead in her employer’s home in Kuwait last month.
Ma. Constancia Dayag, 47, was reportedly found covered in bruises and with a “cucumber” inside her private part. She was rushed to the Al Sabah Hospital in Kuwait but was declared dead on arrival.
“Meron siyang (Dayag) kasamahan na nawawala. Suddenly she left Kuwait and went home and cannot be contacted, so this is raising eyebrows, bakit nawawala,” Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III told reporters on the sidelines of the annual Independence Day job fair in Manila on Wednesday.
The labor chief said that the department has already instructed the NBI to look for Dayag’s companion, a fellow Filipina household service worker.
“Meron kaming number pero hindi sinasagot, pinapahanap na namin sa NBI,” Bello said.
Bello surmised that the sudden disappearance of Dayag’s companion may be an effort to cover up her death.
“There might be some cover up, pero it’s not also fair for us to do that, to say it now. We have to do some homework,” he said.
The DOLE earlier asked the NBI to conduct a second autopsy on the remains of Dayag which it said may provide “a clearer view of the circumstances surrounding her death.”
Dayag’s body arrived in the Philippines last May 23. (Editor: Mike U. Frialde)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.