Close  

Deployment ban depends on Kuwait’s response to NBI findings — Bello

/ 05:20 AM June 06, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III on Wednesday said the reimposition of a labor deployment ban on Kuwait depended on how the Gulf state responded to the National Bureau of Investigation’s findings on the death of overseas Filipino worker Constancia Dayag.

“If there is foul play and the Kuwaiti government does not take the appropriate action, that (deployment ban) could be [an] …  option,” Bello told reporters on the sidelines of the Migrant Workers’ Day celebrations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Initial inaction

Bello said he had not recommended the move to President Rodrigo Duterte because the Kuwaiti government seemed to be “trying to recoup from their initial inaction.”

He said he warned of the reimposition of a labor ban last month because Kuwait had not made a “reasonable reaction” three days after Dayag was allegedly beaten to death by her employer.

Though the 47-year-old maid was found to have a cucumber stuffed into her private parts, Kuwaiti authorities said Dayag died from “natural causes,” a finding that Bello said was “not acceptable.”

Bello said the NBI would release its autopsy report in the next few days. —Jovic Yee

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Constancia Dayag, Kuwait deployment ban, Rodrigo Duterte, Silvestre Bello III
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.