Close  

South Korea promises to take back garbage, says DOF

/ 05:18 AM May 23, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — Illegally imported garbage from South Korea that arrived in Cagayan de Oro City in July and October last year will be returned soon after Seoul promised to shoulder the cost of shipping, the Department of Finance (DOF) said on Wednesday.

According to a report by Customs Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrero to Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III, the 5,177 metric tons of Korean waste materials are stored on the premises of Phividec Industrial Authority in Misamis Oriental province.

ADVERTISEMENT

Guerrero said the containers of plastic synthetic flakes were “unlawfully imported” by the Cebu-based Verde Soko Philippines Industrial Corp.

Order of reexportation

FEATURED STORIES

“An order of forfeiture and order of reexportation were issued by the Port of Cagayan de Oro [on] these waste materials,” Guerrero said.

The South Korean government, he said, has “expressed its commitment” to ship back the trash to Seoul and “its willingness to shoulder the shipping cost without the arrastre and demurrage charges.” —Ben O. de Vera

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DOF, South Korean garbage
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.