O Canada: Duterte sets May 15 deadline to take trash back
MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte gave Canada until May 15 to ship out the garbage it illegally shipped to the Philippines around five years ago, Malacañang said Tuesday.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said if Canada fails to comply with the deadline, the government will be shipping out and throwing the trash on Canada’s beaches.
“They were given—the President gave May 15 as the deadline. If they cannot get that, then we will be shipping them out and throw them to the shores or beach of Canada,” Panelo said in a Palace briefing.
The issue was tackled during the Cabinet meeting in Malacañang on Monday night where the Foreign Affairs department said the Canadian government vowed to shoulder all the expenses in shipping out the tons of garbage, Panelo said.
Last month, Duterte lashed out at Canada, even threatening to declare war against the North American country if it would not take back its trash.
“Awayin natin ang Canada. I will declare war against them. Kaya man natin ‘yan sila. Isauli ko talaga ‘yan. Ikarga mo ‘yan doon sa ano sa barko, load it — the containers to a ship and advice Cana — and I will advise Canada that your garbage is on the way. Prepare a grand reception. Eat it if you want to,” the President said. /je/ac
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.