No Filipino casualties in attacks in Brazil and France – DFA
MANILA, Philippines — No Filipinos were reported to be among the casualties in the shooting incidents in Brazil and France, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said.
In a statement on Wednesday, the DFA said that Ambassador to Brazil Marichu Mauro and Ambassador to France Ma. Theresa Lazaro informed the DFA home office “that so far there have been no reports of any Filipinos among the dead and injured in the two incidents.”
According to Mauro, four people were killed when a gunman on Tuesday opened fire at the end of the midday services at the Metropolitan Cathedral in the city of Campinas, 100 kilometers north of Sao Paolo.
Mauro said the motive behind the shooting was still under investigation as the suspect, who killed himself after the incident, reportedly had no criminal record.
Meanwhile, Lazaro said that three people were killed while 12 others were left wounded after a gunman opened fire near a popular Christmas market in Strasbourg, 490 kilometers east of Paris Tuesday evening.
Lazaro added that “the French government had categorized the incident as a terror attack and had raised the risk level to the highest category.” /atm
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.