Aquino says he worked hard to fight China’s incursion into West PH Sea
Former President Benigno Aquino III on Monday rebutted the allegation that his inaction led to China’s active militarization in three Philippine-claimed reefs in the Spratlys.
“Who filed the arbitration [case against China]? Who campaigned among Asean (Association of South East Asian Nations) members? Which administration produced communique or statements critical of all those island-developing by China?” Aquino said at a press conference.
He pointed out that it was his administration that fought China’s incursion into the West Philippine Sea.
“From the beginning, we only have Vietnam [on] our side but that didn’t stop us from securing a joint statement,” Aquino said.
Last month, President Duterte said China’s aggressive island-building in the West Philippine Sea started even before his administration.
Aquino added that it was his administration that initiated and won the case against China before the Permanent Court of Arbitration, which handed the ruling in July 2016.
“You know a president has many things in mind all the time. He must have forgotten,” he added.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.