DFA condemns missile attacks in Saudi
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Thursday condemned the missile attacks launched by Yemeni rebel group Houthi Shiite against Saudi Arabia, where about 400,000 Filipinos were reportedly residing.
DFA Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said the attacks not only exposed Saudi civilians to serious danger, but also “tens of thousands of Filipino and other foreign workers.”
“The Philippines stands solidly behind Saudi Arabia and condemns the latest missile attacks against the Kingdom,” Cayetano said in a statement issued during a visit in Hong Kong with President Rodrigo Duterte.
The Philippine Embassy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia reported that Saudi security forces were able to intercept a ballistic missile that targeted the facilities of Saudi’s Ministry of Defense.
It also reported that two unmanned drones that targeted oil storage facilities in the provinces of Najran and Jizan were shot down by security forces.
“No casualties were reported in the latest attack against Riyadh but the Philippine Embassy again alerted members of the Filipino community to stay calm but vigilant,” Cayetano said.
Ambassador Adnan Alonto said there were 374,495 Filipinos in Riyadh, 7,850 in Najran, and 15,700 in Jizan.
“The latest attack was the fourth [assault that targeted] Riyadh in the past five months,” Alonto said.
“Last month, Saudi forces shot down several ballistic missiles but two Egyptians on the ground were killed by falling debris,” he said. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.