China backs PH pull out from ICC, urges nations to support ‘war on drugs’
The Chinese government has expressed support to the Philippines’ withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC), saying the global tribunal should not be used as a “political tool,” and even rallied nations to support the Duterte administration’s controversial anti-illegal drugs drive.
“China always maintains that the ICC should respect the sovereignty of nations, act cautiously and avoid being used as a political tool,” said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang in a press briefing on Wednesday.
The Chinese official was responding to a request for comment on Manila’s withdrawal from the ICC.
A transcript of the briefing was posted on the Chinese Foreign Ministry website.
On March 14, President Rodrigo Duterte declared the Philippines’ withdrawal from the Rome Statute, the treaty that established the ICC.
“China believes that a sovereign country has the right to say no to political manipulation under the cloak of law,” Lu said.
The ICC had earlier said it would start its “preliminary examination” on the alleged extrajudicial killings in the Philippines under the Duterte administration’s brutal campaign against illegal drugs.
But Lu said the international community should support the Philippines’ so-called war on drugs rather than “casting blames.”
“We have said before that since he took office, President Rodrigo Duterte has firmly cracked down on drug-related crimes and improved public security, which creates the sound environment for the Philippines’ economic development and its people’s peaceful life and wins full approval and wide support at home,” he said.
“The international community should give more understanding and support to those efforts instead of pointing fingers and casting blames,” he added. /kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.