No foul play in OFW’s death in Malaysia, say kin
TUGUEGARAO CITY — The remains of a 30-year-old overseas Filipino worker (OFW) were returned to her hometown of Ballesteros in Cagayan province on Friday, amid reports that she had been maltreated by her Malaysian employers.
But the family of Novelyn Soliven ruled out foul play and insisted she died on Feb. 27 of a natural cause, said Pilipina Dino, Cagayan Valley director of the Overseas Workers’ Welfare Administration.
“We do not have any record of her seeking request for assistance until the day she was asked to be brought home after her death,” Dino said, dismissing earlier reports that Soliven had been subjected to abuse by her employers.
In her online chat with relatives and friends before her death, Soliven reportedly complained of weakness.
Her husband, Leonardo, said she died of sepsis, based on official health records. —Melvin Gascon
Subscribe to our global nation newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.