‘Vigorous justice’ next after arrest of Demafelis suspects — DFA
After confirming the arrest of the suspects in Syria, Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said the government would now “vigorously pursue justice” for overseas Filipino worker Joanna Demafelis, who was murdered in Kuwait.
“With the two suspects now in custody, (Philippine authorities) will follow President Duterte’s instructions to vigorously pursue justice for Demafelis,” Cayetano said.
Duterte has vowed to bring justice to Demafelis’s family, lashing out at Gulf state Kuwait and alleging Arab employers routinely rape Filipina workers, force them to work 21 hours a day and feed them scraps.
On Saturday, Lebanese and Philippine officials said the employers of Demafelis, who was found dead in a freezer in Kuwait, had been arrested in the Syrian capital Damascus.
Syrian authorities surrendered Nader Essam Assaf to Beirut on Friday because of his Lebanese citizenship but his Syrian wife Mona remains in custody in Damascus, a Lebanese judicial official said.
The murder of Demafelis sparked outrage in the Philippines and prompted Duterte to impose a departure ban on Filipinos planning to work in Kuwait.
The 29-year-old’s body, which allegedly showed signs of torture, was found earlier this month inside a freezer in the abandoned apartment unit of the detained couple.
The two suspects have been the subject of an Interpol manhunt since Demafelis’ body was found more than a year after her family reported her missing.
“The couple were arrested in Damascus. They were the subject of an Interpol red notice and the Syrian authorities handed the husband over to Lebanese custody on Friday morning,” the official said.
“Syria kept custody of the wife because she is a Syrian national,” he added.
“Lebanon has asked Kuwait to pass on the husband’s police record.”
The official said that after leaving Kuwait, the couple had made a very brief stopover in Lebanon before travelling on to neighboring Syria.
The Philippines’ foreign affairs department also confirmed the second arrest in a statement late Saturday.
Kuwait has said it is investigating reported deaths and abuses, and insisted there were only a small number considering that there are more than 250,000 Filipinos working in the emirate.
Duterte this week sent a team of labor officials to Kuwait to seek greater protection for migrant workers. /cbb
Subscribe to our global nation newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.