Monday, July 23, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Abella: Diplomacy is still PH priority on South China Sea issue

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 04:25 PM June 30, 2017

Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella FILE PHOTO / NESTOR CORRALES/INQUIRER.net

The Philippine government will continue to employ a “non-combative” approach in dealing with the South China Sea issue amid a recent report that Beijing has built new military facilities on artificial islands in the disputed region, Malacañang said on Friday.

US think tank Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative said that based on satellite images, Beijing’s outposts on contested South China Sea reefs are close to being ready for the deployment of military assets.

READ: Beijing’s South China Sea outposts nearly set for missile deployment—report

ADVERTISEMENT

“We need to reiterate the fact that the President… his approach to the situation, to regional socio geopolitics has always been to come into a mutual understanding and mutual, and dialogue in order to resolve cases like these,” presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella during the Mindanao Hour in Davao City.

“We need to just go back to the fact that the President at this stage has been non-combative and non-adversarial,” Abella added.

In January this year, the Philippines sent a note verbale to China as it protests Beijing’s installation of antiaircraft and antimissile weapons on its man-made islands in the disputed sea.

The South China Sea issue has strained the Philippines’ relations with China after the latter claimed almost all parts of the minerals-rich region.

But since President Rodrigo Duterte assumed office in June 30 last year, he has maintained “a soft approach” on China as he favored bilateral talks to settle the South China Sea disputes.
The Philippines won a landmark decision at the United Nations-backed arbitral tribunal but China has repeatedly rejected the decision.

In May, the Philippines and China held bilateral talks to discuss “sensitive” issues over the disputed sea.
Duterte said in May that Chinese President Xi Jinping had warned him there would be war if the Philippines drills for oil resources in the South China Sea. JPV

ADVERTISEMENT
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative, Beijing, China, Malacañang, South China Sea dispute, West Philippine Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

No number coding for July 23 – MMDA

July 23, 2018 07:56 AM

newsinfo

2 hurt, hundreds flee as tornado hits Davao City

July 23, 2018 07:54 AM

newsinfo

Cuban legislature adopts new constitution

July 23, 2018 07:28 AM

globalnation

Spell out China strategy in Sona, Carpio tells Duterte

July 23, 2018 07:24 AM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.