PH has lost millions in US grants, EU deals due to rights issues | Global News
Close  

PH has lost millions in US grants, EU deals due to rights issues

By: - Correspondent / @carlagomezINQ
/ 08:41 PM March 22, 2017
Ismael Sueno - news conference - 21 March 2017

In a news conference on Tuesday, March 21, 2017, Interior Secretary Ismael Sueno denies the “palit-ulo” scheme that Vice President Leni Robredo says some police officers engage in. (Photo from the DILG website)

BACOLOD — The Philippines has lost a $434 million in grants from the United States and 27 trade agreements with the European Union because of what he called wrongful accusations of human right violations against the Duterte administration.

Interior Secretary Ismael Sueno shared this information in an interview on the sidelines of of the opening here of the 15th meeting of the Senior Officials Responsible for Information (SOMR) of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean).

ADVERTISEMENT

The opening was held at the SMX Convention Center.

Sueno said there appeared to be a concerted effort to raise human rights issues and put pressure on the President in order to free Sen. Leila de Lima from jail

FEATURED STORIES

“The United States has not renewed its Millennium Challenge Corporation grant to the Philippines expiring in May this year because of alleged human rights violations being propagated by many sectors and just recently by Vice President Leni Robredo,” Sueno said.

The nonrenewal of the grant was announced by the US Embassy in December last year.

The MCC rant aims to promote economic growth and reduce poverty around the world.

Sueno said the 27 trade agreements between the European Union and the Philippines were connected with the condition to uphold of human rights.

“Our government is now accused of violating human rights,” he said. “So we stand to lose in this 27 trade agreements.”

The EU is also threatening to impose tariffs on Philippine products as a sanction for rights violations, he added

“If the EU imposes taxes on Phililipune products in Europe, the farmers will suffer,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sueno said he had received intelligence reports that the people accusing Duterte of human rights violations were doing it in an effort to force him to free de Lima.

He refused, however, to name the persons he was referring too.

“You know who they are,” he told the media when pressed for names.

The impeachment move against the President and Robredo”s video message to the United Nations on killings related to the war on drugs appear to be related, he said.

But according to Sueno, Duterte said the Philippines could survive without the grants and agreements, because he was determined to stamp out the drug problem.

Sueno also stressed that, in all Cabinet meetings, the president had never given a command to kill those you suspects in drug cases. /atm

Subscribe to our global nation newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: humn rights violations, Ismael Sueno, Philippine trade deals with EU, US grants to Philippines
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our global news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.