Duterte meet with Bangladeshi execs cancelled
The scheduled meeting between President Rodrigo Duterte and ranking officials of Bangladesh have been cancelled, according to a Palace official.
Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella on Monday said the meeting was cancelled due to “pressing matters that demand the President’s immediate attention.”
“At any rate said Bangladeshi officials have already meet with various heads of agencies to discuss matters regarding the heist,” Abella said in a statement.
The ranking Bangladesh officials were set to meet with Duterte to press for the return of more missing funds that were laundered in the Philippines earlier this year, the biggest money laundering scandal to hit the country. So far, Bangladesh has recovered $15 million of the funds stolen by hackers from its central bank last February.
The Bangladeshi officials were led by the South Asian nation’s minister of law, justice and parliamentary affairs, attorney general, central bank governor, Ministry of Finance secretary and a parliamentarian.
The Bangladeshi delegation was also set to meet with Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III, Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II, Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III and Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Governor Amando Tetangco Jr. during their four-day visit, according to Bangladesh ambassador to the Philippines John Gomes.
Christopher “Bong” Go, special assistant to the President, denied reports that Duterte allegedly collapsed in Malacañang was the reason why the meeting was called off.
While saying that he will still look into the matter, Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said: “So far negative. There’s no such story.” RAM
Subscribe to our global nation newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.