Close  

PH, US troops start army drills in Palawan

/ 06:25 PM November 15, 2016
U.S. military armored personnel carriers take their positions during the 11-day joint US-Philippines military exercise dubbed "Balikatan 2016" (Shoulder-To-Shoulder 2016) Thursday, April 14, 2016 at Crow Valley, Tarlac province north of Manila, Philippines. U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter arrived in the country Wednesday for talks with President Benigno Aquino III and other top defense and military officials and to visit two military camps which are being utilized for the exercise.(AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

U.S. military armored personnel carriers take their positions during the 11-day joint US-Philippines military exercise dubbed “Balikatan 2016” (Shoulder-To-Shoulder 2016) Thursday, April 14, 2016 at Crow Valley, Tarlac province north of Manila, Philippines.  AP FILE PHOTO

Elite units from the Philippine Army and their US counterparts will hold a month-long joint exercises aimed to enhance anti-terror operations and war-fighting abilities.

The Exercise Balance Piston 16-4 will start on Wednesday and end on December 14 in Palawan, Army spokesperson Col. Benjamin Hao told reporters on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Sa Philippine Army we are going to send around 30 to 40 personnel, sa US hindi ko ma-announce kung ilan… Na-adjust yung start ng Balance Piston dahil na-delay yung arrival ng mga Amerikano but matutuloy na ngayon,” he said.

There will also be no live-firing exercises except for the marksmanship training inside the camp, in line with the guidance from the higher headquarters.

FEATURED STORIES

“Both armed forces agreed na tanggalin yung live-firing….Nagkasundo yung both parties so wala namang problema sa amin. Tuloy pa rin kami. Ang army naman eh marami pa rin kaming matutunan sa joint exercises,” Hao said.

Other training events under the joint exercises include subject matter expert exchange on human rights, tactical combat casualty care, marksmanship, small unit tactics in a riverine/coastal environment, maritime interdiction, over the beach, combat swimmer operations, and air operations mission planning.

President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the continuation of joint drills with US forces amid his pronouncements that he will break away from the US, but the number of drills would be reduced and would focus on humanitarian assistance and disaster response, the defense department said last week.

The Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement signed in 2014, which will allow the rotation of more US troops and assets in the country, was also approved by the President. TVJ

RELATED STORIES

US-PH joint drills to be trimmed down; EDCA to continue—Lorenzana

Last PH-US war games for ‘this year’ alone — Duterte top adviser

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED VIDEO

[ventuno id=’ODM2OTc0fHwyMzY4fHwxMDg2fHwxLDIsMQ==’][/ventuno]

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Col. Benjamin Hao, Duterte administration, Exercise Balance Piston 15-4, joint exercises, Palawan, Philippine Army, US Army, US forces
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.