outbrain
Close  

US wants to stay in Mindanao — envoy

/ 01:05 PM October 25, 2016
Philip Goldberg, outgoing US Ambassador to the Philippines, (inset) said the US wants to stay in Mindanao to fight Islamic extremists. Photo shows US marines amphibious assault vehicles (AAV) taking part in the US-Philippines joint annual beach landing exercise in San Antonio, Zambales province. AFP

Philip Goldberg, outgoing US Ambassador to the Philippines, (inset) said the US wants to stay in Mindanao to help fight Islamic extremists. Photo shows US marines amphibious assault vehicles (AAV) taking part in the US-Philippines joint annual beach landing exercise in San Antonio, Zambales province. AFP

The United States wants to remain involved in the campaign to quell Islamic militancy in the southern Philippines, its ambassador to Manila said Tuesday after President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to kick out American forces.

Ambassador Philip Goldberg said the security threat in the conflict-plagued region was “very serious”, warning the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) was among a number of foreign militant organizations trying to increase its involvement there.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We’ve helped the Philippines as it has reduced the threat over time,” Goldberg told ABS-CBN television.

“But we are concerned obviously about any new intrusion of ISIS or any other group that wants to take advantage of open space in the south of the Philippines. So we want to continue doing that.”

FEATURED STORIES

The United States had deployed from 2002 to 2014 a rotating force of about 600 troops to the southern Philippines to train local soldiers in how to combat Islamic militants.

The presence was scaled down after the United States deemed the militants there had “largely devolved into disorganized groups resorting to criminal undertakings”, according to a US statement in 2014.

Islamic militant attacks spiked after that, most prominently with the homegrown Abu Sayyaf group abducting dozens of foreigners and locals to extort ransoms.

About 100 American troops remain in the south, Goldberg said on Tuesday.

But Duterte, who took office on June 30, has said they are adding to tensions with the Islamic communities in the southern region of Mindanao.

“These US special forces, they have to go in Mindanao,” Duterte said last month.

Duterte, who describes himself as a socialist and part Muslim, has called for their ejection as part of a general effort to dilute his nation’s 70-year alliance with the United States.

ADVERTISEMENT

Islamic militants have waged a decades-long separatist insurgency in Mindanao that has claimed more than 120,000 lives.

The region is the ancestral homeland of the Muslim minority in the mainly Catholic Philippines.

The major rebel organizations are no longer waging armed struggle, but harder-line splinter groups such as the Abu Sayyaf have remained a threat.

Goldberg warned Jemaah Islamiyah, a Southeast Asian group responsible for the deadly 2002 bombings on the Indonesian resort island of Bali, and other foreigners were in Mindanao.

“This is a very serious issue,” Goldberg said.

“We are not just dealing with Abu Sayyaf but groups from the region like Jemaah Islamiyah. We see increasing efforts from ISIS to become involved.” CBB/rga

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Features, ISIS, jihadists, Mindanao, Philip Goldberg, US
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.