CHR: UN prober to need security, free access
Before the UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial executions, Agnes Callamard, arrives to investigate the drug-related killings in the country, she would likely ask for guarantees of her staff’s unimpeded movement and security from the government, as well as the availability and safety of persons they will interview.
Last week Callamard said in a tweet that she welcomed the reported invitation of the Duterte government but added she had yet to receive the formal invite.
If the formalities are eventually worked out, she is expected to conduct an “independent” investigation that even the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) would not be part of it, according to CHR spokesperson Jacqueline de Guia.
“The CHR will assist in whatever way it can to facilitate the work of the Special Rapporteur. But they are independent, they have their own plan of investigation,” De Guia said.
The CHR already has its Task Force Extrajudicial Killings to investigate the drug war-related killings, which the Philippine National Police reported to number around 3,200 since July 1 after President Duterte assumed office.
Malacañang announced last week it had invited the UN Special Rapporteur to investigate.
After announcing this, however, President Duterte again insulted the UN rights officials and said he would “shame them.”
The CHR said Malacañang need not have made it a condition that Callamard get Mr. Duterte’s side, since she is expected to meet all stakeholders.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.